I’m amazed sometimes to hear what people eat and actually classify as eating healthily. Now, don’t get me wrong, my diet is far from what I would call perfect but its definitely within the realm of what i would classify as healthy.
What should you eat in a healthy diet?
In a nutshell, and to avoid over complication, a healthy diet to me would be consuming predominantly;
- Vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds and legumes that recently came straight out of the ground or off a plant or/ tree.
- Ocean or Land based lifeforms that were recently alive but are now dead, plus their eggs.
- Water.. Lots of natural water.
- Organic food is best the best option. But if not then just as fresh as possible and washed well.
Four bullet points. Surely that can’t be hard to follow can it? If 90% of a persons food was from the above sources, and in modest portion sizes, then it would sound pretty healthy to me.
But what about the other 10%?
Some people get enormous joy from food, and as long as the emotional attachment to food isn’t unhealthy (binge eating, eating for comfort etc..) then why not have the occasional treat, or an allowance to eat some things that aren’t on the ‘health’ list. Some things that I think probably shouldn’t be on your ‘foods i’ve eaten today list’ too often include:
- Most baked goods.
- Anything from a packet.
- Most dairy products (exceptions are raw milk, and ghee)
- Sugar in all forms.
- Salt (exceptions are himalayan table salts, murray river salts etc..)
Note: Most people need to have some joy in their food and I’m not saying don’t eat these things at all, what I’m suggesting is that they should be treats, or things eaten infrequently in your diet. For example I love cookies, and I love corn chips and I eat these things occasionally. To avoid them completely would just make me feel like i was missing something, and it would be hard for me to not feel like I was depriving myself, which is a negative mindset. At the end of the day a few cookies won’t kill me if 90% of my food comes from whole, natural and fresh sources!
I have to admit that this is a no-brainer for me, but I’m not you, and you have different thoughts and perceptions from me so let me make this really simple.
- Your body is made up of cells.
- Your body replicates and replaces these cells minute to minute, hour to hour, and day to day.
- Every cell in your body is replaced over and over again from the moment you are born until the day you die.
- Just like a factory in China must use raw materials to pump out iPhones, your body needs raw materials to replicate cells.
- The raw materials your body uses comes from the foods and liquids you consume.
- I’ll say that again.. In some shape or form, everything you put in your mouth will become a part of you in some way.
- Now look at what you’re about to put in your mouth.
- Does that really look like something you want to go and make your body out of??